Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta was set up in 2000 by the Department of Education with the
- To promote, facilitate and encourage Irish-medium Education and Irish-medium schools;
- To do this in a planned, educationally efficient and cost-effective way.
The development of a viable, inclusive system of Irish-medium Education that will contribute to the development of Irish speaking families and communities.
To develop a comprehensive network of quality Irish-medium Education provision over the next
- Which contributes to the development of Irish speaking families and communities.
- In a spirit of inclusiveness and partnership with partners in the sector and the community.
What do we do?
- Assist parents who wish to establish Irish-medium provision in their area;
- Plan for the creation of new Irish-medium schools;
- Promote standards of good practice in Irish-medium Education schools;
- Co-ordinate the activities of all those involved in Irish-medium Education;
- Represent the Irish-medium Education sector at all levels;
- Promote Irish-medium Education to the Dept of Education, Education and Library Boards, Council for Catholic Maintained Schools, CCEA and other bodies;
- Provide advice, assistance and information in relation to Irish-medium Education to those who need it and to groups seeking to establish Irish-medium schools and units.
How do we do this?
Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta promotes Irish-medium Education in the community, encourages parents to establish Irish-medium provision, and endeavours to ensure children have access to Irish-medium Education at pre-school, primary and post-primary level.
Where do we get our funding?
Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta receives a grant from the Department of Education for the staff salaries, administration costs and the implementation of an annual plan.
Who works for us?
Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta currently employs 13 core staff: a Chief Executive, Senior Education Officer, Senior Development Officer, Senior Officer for Finance, Administration and Personnel, Clerical Officer, Clerical Administration Officer and 6 Advisory Officers
Who is on the Board of Directors?
Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta has a board of 22 voluntary directors. Each director is nominated by an organisation with an interest in Irish-medium Education. The current Chairperson and nominating groups are listed below. Please see our Final Accounts 2013 for a full list of board members.
Chairperson: Caoimhín Ó Peatáin
An Chomhairle um Oideachas Gaeltachta agus Gaelscolaíochta (COGG)
Association of Education and Library Boards
- Colleges Northern Ireland
- Comhairle na Gaelscolaíochta
- Council for Catholic Maintained Schools
- Department of Education
Foras na Gaeilge
Gaeleagras um Shainriachtanais Oideachais (GESO)
NISC / UCET
Principal ( x4 )